New Castle News

June 8, 2013

‘Heroic act’ by firefighters saves woman

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A Perry Township woman was hospitalized Friday morning after a fire broke out at her home on Portersville Road.

Brian Partridge, assistant chief of the Perry fire department, said the woman was taken by ambulance to Ellwood City Hospital, then transferred to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh.

He would not disclose the woman’s name and did not have an age for her. He said she was renting the single-family, one-story house at 720 Portersville Road.

Partridge said the call was received at 7:06 a.m. When firefighters arrived, six neighbors and passersby had just pulled the woman out of the house, he said.

The men made a coordinated effort, going into the house two at a time, and eventually pulled her out about 12 feet, he said.

“These guys did an amazing job. A very heroic act,” Partridge said, adding there was “a lot of heat and smoke.”

He said it was an oxygen-fueled blaze, noting there were eight to 10 oxygen bottles in the house.

According to Partridge, the state police fire marshal said the blaze was caused by using a stove to light a cigarette.

Partridge said the house is a total loss. The estimated value is $50,000, he said.

The house is owned by Catherine Brown, Frank A. Lample and Cindy Neely, according to the county assessment office.

Perry was assisted by fire departments from Ellwood City, Wayne Township and Chewton in Lawrence County and Franklin Township and North Sewickley Township in Beaver County.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 9:30 a.m., Partridge said.