New Castle News

Police Reports

August 12, 2013

Unattended fryer damages house

NEW CASTLE — An unattended french fryer resulted in about $15,000 worth of damage for a West Side family.

New Castle firefighters were called to 402 Bell Ave. about 5:30 p.m. Sunday to control a blaze that had gutted the home’s large kitchen, they said.

Firefighters said the blaze also had damaged part of the dining room.

The building, owned by Dr. Mabel Paige, is occupied by DiVita Booker, firefighters said. Booker told them her daughter had been heating oil in a french fryer but had left the unit unattended briefly. This resulted in a fire that was too big for them to control.

Crews remained on scene for about an hour.

The house was occupied by two adults and four children. Firefighters contacted the American Red Cross to help the family to make emergency housing accommodations.

The fire has been determined to be accidental.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
House Ads
Poll

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 fell from the sky in Donetsk, Ukraine, on Thursday, killing all 298 people aboard. Many are speculating that Russian rebels (supported by Vladimir Putin) are responsible for downing the aircraft. What do you think?

Yes. All evidence points that way.
No. Everyone is so quick to point fingers, but there's not enough evidence to support claims of Russian guilt.
I'm not sure. I'll just wait until the investigation is over to make up my mind.
What is up with these Malaysian Airlines planes? I know one airline I won't be flying any time soon...
     View Results