New Castle News

November 18, 2013

UPDATE: Walmart shooting suspect found dead

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A man sought in connection with a Walmart shooting last night has been found dead in New Brighton.

Carlos Montique Harper, 27, of 103 E. Sharp St., was found inside the Brightwood Manor apartment complex in New Brighton late this morning.

Pennsylvania state police, who with New Brighton police had the building surrounded, entered the complex just before 11:45 a.m. after they were told that Harper was dead.

“Preliminary indications are that he died of a self-inflicted gunshot,” said Cpl. William Maitland of the New Castle station of the state police.

Police said Harper, who lived in New Castle, had been in the apartment of a friend or relative.

Earlier this morning police obtained a warrant for Harper’s arrest, charging him with criminal homicide and aggravated assault in the death of Mariah Jai Anderson, 22, whose address is given as 701 W. Washington St., and 103 E. Sharp St.,

Police said Anderson was shot to death while in her vehicle in the Walmart parking lot at 11: 15 p.m. yesterday.

Officers said Harper was identified as the man who got out of another vehicle parked in the Walmart lot, waiting for Anderson to end her shift.

Police said they believe the couple had three children together.

In court papers, officers said the two had lived together for several years but separated a week ago over domestic issues including various assaults by Harper.

Police said Harper had stalked and harassed Anderson at her place of employment on Thursday at Walmart.

On Sunday, police said, Harper waited for Anderson to complete her shift at 11:15 p.m. Police said he walked up to her car, a 2002 Cadillac Escalade, and shot through the window, striking Anderson in the face and upper torso. Six spent .40 caliber casings were discovered at the scene.

Anderson was pronounced dead at Jameson Hospital by Deputy Coroner Richard Johnson.

Police said an informant told them Harper had said on Friday that if the two did not reconcile or return some of his belongings to him that he was going to kill her. Court documents state that Harper told the informant that he had already purchased a gun and was going to use it on the victim.