New Castle News

January 11, 2013

Light bulb sparks bizarre blaze

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A light bulb was the apparent trigger of a bizarre blaze at Dayspring Harvest Ministries Wednesday in Ellwood City.

Borough firefighters said a light bulb in a curio cabinet in the gift shop of the ministries, at 316 Sixth St., burned a hole in the top of the cabinet causing a silk floral arrangement on the top of the cabinet to burst into flames and fall to the floor, spreading the fire.

The firefighters said this activated the building’s sprinkler system and prevented the fire from spreading through the building.

The Ellwood City fire department, which responded about 6:10 p.m., remained on the scene until about 8 p.m. They were assisted by volunteer departments from Wayne Township, Chewton, Wurtemburg-Perry and the Franklin Township, Beaver County, department.

Firefighters said the building sustained minimal damage from the blaze, but did have smoke and water damage in that room.

The firefighters pointed out books and other items in the room suffered water damage but they did not have an estimate from the organization.

Attempts to reach a ministries spokesperson were unsuccessful.

According to its website, Dayspring Harvest Ministries is an independent ministry designed to promote spiritual growth and unity within the church and community.