New Castle News

Police Reports

May 25, 2013

‘Carelessness’ caused Overlook fire

NEW CASTLE — The state fire marshal has determined a blaze at the Overlook Health and Rehabilitation Center was caused by carelessness.

Trooper David Jungling issued his report Friday and said the blaze was determined to have been caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials. He said damages were estimated at $500. No injuries were reported.

Volunteer firefighters from the New Wilmington, Volant and Neshannock Township departments responded to the facility in New Wilmington about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

New Wilmington Fire Chief Dick Wilson, who had not responded, said he had been told by department officers that the blaze originated at the back of the facility where employees take their smoking breaks.

He said someone apparently tossed a cigarette, which wedged in at the bottom of a post, and fire climbed up a back wall. He said the fire was out before crews arrived, but the facility filled with smoke, which necessitating moving residents and clearing the building of smoke.

The facility is owned by Reliant Senior Holdings Inc. of Philadelphia.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
House Ads
Poll

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed “unprecedented” legislation yesterday to expand gun rights in his state. Good idea?

Yes. Expanding the scope of where people can carry guns can help halt violent crimes and make those places safer.
No. Carrying guns into bars and schools is NEVER a good idea. I think it will lead to more violence.
Not sure, but I don’t plan to visit Georgia any time soon.
     View Results