New Castle News

Hot Topics

May 10, 2013

Jordan Brown Case: Next step unclear, attorneys say

NEW CASTLE — The Jordan Brown case has stretched into its fifth year.

But it is not over yet.

And the lawyers representing the 15-year-old don’t know exactly what will happen next.

On Wednesday, the Superior Court of Pennsylvania overturned the verdict of Lawrence County Judge John Hodge saying his ruling was contrary to the evidence. The three-judge panel ordered the case back to Lawrence County juvenile court.

Hodge had ruled last year that Jordan was responsible for the shooting death of Kenzie Marie Houk and her unborn son. Houk — the fiancée of Jordan’s father — was fatally shot at the New Beaver Borough home she shared with Jordan, his father and her two daughters.

Jordan was 11 at the time of the Feb. 20, 2009, incident. He was arrested the following morning, charged as an adult as required by Pennsylvania law.

After two and a half years of legal wrangling, the case was moved to juvenile court where, in April 2012, Jordan was determined to be delinquent — the equivalent of a guilty verdict in adult court.

Jordan was ordered into treatment within the juvenile justice system, where he could remain until his 21st birthday.

Wednesday’s ruling changes that. However, to what is unclear.

“We’re not sure what the next step is,” said attorney Stephen Colafella of Monaca, one of Jordan’s lawyers. “We’re waiting to see if the commonwealth appeals.”

Anthony Krastek, Pennsylvania’s senior deputy attorney general who prosecuted the case, said he and others are still reviewing the order.

He said it is possible the prosecution will appeal and request the full court for review, but added no decision has been made.

Because of that uncertainty, Colafella would like to see Jordan released from custody. However, he expects that won’t happen “given the state of things.”

Jordan is being held at George Junior Republic, a juvenile detention center in Grove City. He has been in custody at various facilities since his arrest.

Neither Colafella nor Jordan’s other attorney, Dennis Elisco of New Castle, would say whether they have or will ask the court to release the teen.

However, a detention hearing for Jordan has been scheduled for 3 p.m. Monday.

Colafella said he would like to see a new trial in juvenile court.

The defense’s appeal to the Superior Court challenged the sufficiency or weight of the evidence Hodge had considered, Colafella explained.

“We could be back to square one with a new trial and the same evidence,” he said.

Noting the appeals court said Hodge’s decision was contrary to the evidence presented at Jordan’s hearing, Colafella called the evidence “problematic, inadequate.

“We had said the evidence was insufficient to support the ruling,” he noted. “We’ve come a long way, but we’re a long way from over on this case.”

Multiple attempts to reach Hodge Thursday were unsuccessful.

Elisco echoed Colafella’s comments.

“We’re trying to figure out where to go from here.”

Elisco said he, Colafella and the Juvenile Law Center in Philadelphia will examine the Superior Court ruling as well as related law.

“The court reviewed all of the records, all of the evidence and concluded that it is insufficient to support the (guilty) ruling” Elisco said.

“The (superior) court vacated the judgment and (said) that the judge abused his discretion. That is what we maintained all along.”

Elisco noted the court ordered Jordan’s case be returned to Lawrence County for further action.

However, it did not specifically say what that action should be.

“In many ways, this puts us back to square one.”

(Email: nlowry@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Hot Topics
  • Our Opinion: New study suggests problem with some state shale gas wells

    A recent study of leaks from shale gas wells raises more questions than it answers. And because of the growing presence of shale gas wells in Pennsylvania, it’s essential that both government and industry provide clarity.

    July 9, 2014

  • 08.jpg Gaming board asked to take a chance here

    Lawrence County deserves a chance, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board was Thursday. All seven board members, their staff, hearing officer Linda Lloyd and 200 to 225 others attended the board’s public hearing at the Mahoning Township Community Center.

    May 9, 2014 1 Photo

  • Casino.jpg Area residents, groups to speak at casino hearing

    Some 55 individuals and organizations have registered to speak tomorrow at the Lawrence Downs Casino and Racing Resort Public Input Hearing. The list was released yesterday by the Pennsylvania Gaming Board, which will conduct the hearing at 10 a.m. at the Community Center in Mahoning Township on Route 224.

    May 7, 2014 1 Photo 1 Story

  • Austintown racing complex anticipates fall opening

    Hollywood Gaming at Mahoning Valley Race Course will open in the fall. No specific date has been set, but work is progressing on several fronts on 186 acres in Austintown, Ohio. The site — less than 30 miles from New Castle — is accessible from Ohio Routes 46 and 11 and Interstate 80.

    May 7, 2014

  • gavel.jpg Holdout property owners file for injunction

    Holdout landowners are asking Commonwealth Court to declare that forced pooling violates the state constitution.

    May 5, 2014 1 Photo

  • gavel.jpg Holdout landowners retain Pittsburgh attorney; ask hearings be postponed

    A Pittsburgh attorney is asking that next month’s hearings on forced pooling be postponed. Atty. Omar Abuhejleh also filed a motion with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Friday allowing the affected landowners to formally intervene in the case filed by Hilcorp Energy Co.

    April 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • Dangers of fracking the topic at Villa Maria

    Public health concerns about fracking must be addressed, a nurse practitioner told approximately 150 people at Villa Maria on Thursday.

    April 26, 2014

  • Bobosky.jpg Gas holdouts unconvinced of safety

    When Suzanne Matteo and her husband, Martin, bought their house on four acres in Pulaski Township they had a plan. They would grow a huge vegetable garden, raise lots of flowers and a few chickens and enjoy the fresh air and quiet.

    April 17, 2014 1 Photo

  • gavel.jpg Anti fracking group waits for answer to its letter

    More than 20 state environmental groups are asking that March 25 and 26 hearings on proposed “forced pooling” be postponed. They say more time is necessary to allow members of the public to voice their opinions.
     

    March 18, 2014 1 Photo 2 Stories

  • Hilcorp_Energy.jpg Hilcorp seeks to force drilling on reluctant landowners

    A hearing has been set on a request to force local landowners to allow gas and oil drilling. Hilcorp Corp., a Texas firm with multiple well pads in the area, is asking for the so-called “forced pooling.”

    March 14, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Poll

The film "Into the Storm," about a devastating tornado, opens nationally Aug. 1. What's your favorite storm movie?

Twister
The Day After Tomorrow
The Perfect Storm
Sharknado
     View Results