NEW CASTLE —
Jordan Brown is moving closer to home.
At a hearing Thursday, Judge John W. Hodge approved transferring the 15-year-old from a facility in central Pennsylvania to one in western Pennsylvania.
Jordan was in the courtroom, which was closed to the public.
In April, Jordan was found responsible for the deaths of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, and her unborn child. That is the juvenile justice system equivalent of a guilty determination.
Jordan was 11 at the time of the Feb. 20, 2009, shooting. He has been in custody since then.
At a disposition hearing in May, Hodge ordered Jordan to a juvenile facility for treatment.
The law requires the case to be reviewed every six months by the judge who made the disposition, the juvenile court equivalent of a sentence. These reviews are required to determine if the youth is receiving adequate treatment.
At the first review, earlier this month, a representative of the facility said Jordan had not opened up, according to Houk family members, and asked that another facility be found.
After Thursday’s proceeding, members of Houk’s family displayed frustration.
“I have nothing to say,” Kenzie Houk’s mother Debbie Houk said as she left the courthouse.
Her husband, Jack Houk, at first declined to comment on the proceedings. However, later, he said he is frustrated.
“In six months, there will be another evaluation,” he said. “I know what is happening. We’ll just keep going through this.”
Houk also said Jordan is being moved to the maximum security area of George Junior Republic in Grove City.
George Junior is a private, non-profit, residential treatment facility, founded in 1909, for at-risk youth. Its offerings include accredited academic and vocational education programs and therapeutic activities. It houses more than 1,000 youths from throughout the United States.
NEW CASTLE —
Jordan Brown is moving closer to home.
- Hot Topics
Gas holdouts unconvinced of safety
When Suzanne Matteo and her husband, Martin, bought their house on four acres in Pulaski Township they had a plan. They would grow a huge vegetable garden, raise lots of flowers and a few chickens and enjoy the fresh air and quiet.
Anti fracking group waits for answer to its letter
More than 20 state environmental groups are asking that March 25 and 26 hearings on proposed “forced pooling” be postponed. They say more time is necessary to allow members of the public to voice their opinions.
Hilcorp seeks to force drilling on reluctant landowners
A hearing has been set on a request to force local landowners to allow gas and oil drilling. Hilcorp Corp., a Texas firm with multiple well pads in the area, is asking for the so-called “forced pooling.”
Boy’s murder case goes to Pennsylvania high court
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court must decide if a Pennsylvania teen should get a new trial in the death of his father’s pregnant fiancée, who was fatally shot with a youth-model shotgun when he was 11.
Casino hearing date now official
May 8 has been confirmed as the public hearing date for Lawrence Downs Casino and Racing Resort. The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board will hear from those who wish to comment on the casino license under consideration for the racetrack/casino complex planned for Mahoning Township.
Agreement to enhance Austintown track project
Penn National Gaming announced Monday it has signed a key agreement regarding its Austintown race track and casino. The thoroughbred racing track, part of a facility that will include slots-like gambling machines, is scheduled to open in the fall, and the new agreement with the Ohio Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association is being touted as “positive progress” in meeting that deadline.
Public hearing for casino could be in spring
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board could turn its focus to Lawrence Downs Casino and Racing Resort this spring. Lawrence County Commissioner Dan Vogler, who attended the board’s meeting in Harrisburg this week, said he and staff members informally discussed a timetable for the upcoming public hearing on the gaming application submitted by Endeka Entertainment.
Our Opinion: After five years, Jordan Brown case continues — sadly for all
It’s not unusual for newspapers to look back on major news events when key anniversaries come about. So it was that the New Castle News has been running articles on the fifth anniversary of the 2009 slaying of Kenzie Houk, and the subsequent arrest of Jordan Brown for the crime.
Jordan Brown Case, Five Years Later: Defense attorney learns ‘to expect the unexpected’
On the morning of Feb. 21, 2009, attorney Dennis Elisco met a boy who changed his life. Thursday marked the five-year anniversary in the case of 16-year-old Jordan Brown.
Jordan Brown Case, Five Years Later: After half a decade, intrigue and questions remain
Unusual aspects of Jordan Brown’s case drew national and international attention. Now 16, Jordan was 11 when he was charged as an adult with two counts of homicide in the fatal shooting of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, 26.
- More Hot Topics Headlines
- Gas holdouts unconvinced of safety