New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
A West Side man was acquitted of all charges in a South Side bar shooting.
Jauan Marcus Searcy, 31, of 912 McCleary Ave. had been accused of shooting Arlen Brewer in the March 7 incident.
A jury of 10 women and two men deliberated for about four hours Monday before returning with a not guilty verdict shortly before 4 p.m.
Police charged Searcy with criminal attempt at homicide, aggravated assault, illegal possession of a firearm, recklessly endangering another person, simple assault and receiving stolen property.
Officers said Brewer, 38, of 1139 Booker Drive, had been shot multiple times, including once in the head.
Witnesses told police that the night of the shooting, Searcy and Brewer had argued inside Buzz and Rich’s Tavern and Brewer had been shot around 9:45 p.m. after the encounter had turned physical. He was flown to a Youngstown hospital’s trauma unit.
Searcy, who was treated for a laceration of the back of the head, claimed Brewer had pistol-whipped him at the rear of the bar.
Police said a surveillance tape from the bar showed Searcy holding the revolver. The tape also showed Searcy being hit repeatedly with a beer bottle.
Brewer was on the ground in the back of the parking lot when police arrived.
Stanley Booker, Searcy’s attorney, said Monday afternoon that Searcy had testified during his trial, as did his girlfriend, who was in the bar that night.
“I think the jury looked at the evidence and felt he had a valid claim for self defense,” Brewer commented about his client. “He maintained his innocence throughout.”
The trial started with jury selection a week ago, followed by opening arguments and testimony the rest of last week. Closing arguments were Monday morning.
Booker said Brewer and other witnesses testified for the prosecution.
Assistant district attorney William Flannery prosecuted the case before Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge J. Craig Cox.