New Castle News

Closer Look

April 16, 2014

Congressional candidate disqualified

NEW CASTLE — Commonwealth Court has removed a Democratic candidate for the 3rd Congressional District seat from the May 20 primary ballot.

Judge Bernard L. McGinley has invalidated the nomination petitions of Mel A. Marin of Sharon.

McGinley ruled that 249 signatures on Marin’s petitions are invalid, resulting in a total of 911 valid signatures. Congressional candidates are required to have 1,000 signatures to qualify for the ballot.

Marin’s disqualification leaves Daniel C. LaVallee of Cranberry Township as the only Democratic candidate for the 3rd District seat. U.S. Rep. Mike Kelly of Butler is unopposed on the Republican ballot.

Marin was removed from the ballot two years ago for the congressional seat for not having enough valid signatures.

Charles Rice, Mercer County Democratic chairman, challenged Marin’s petitions.

A hearing was conducted before McGinley last week. In his order issued Monday, he states the parties agreed that 31 signatures were invalid either because the signer was not a registered Democrat, not registered in the district or registered at all or registered at an address different from that listed on the petitions.

The Armstrong County elections director testified that three other signatures were invalid. One signature was crossed out, the signer of another was not a registered Democrat and another signer was not registered. McGinley ruled those signatures invalid.

The judge ruled that 215 signature lines were not completed by the signers as required under the state election code.

The 3rd District includes most of Lawrence County and all of Armstrong, Butler, Crawford and Mercer counties and parts of Erie and Clarion counties.

(Email: jmanna@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Closer Look
  • Lottery.jpg Lottery officials: Seniors should get smaller payout

    State lottery officials say less means more for seniors. The lottery took in $3.8 billion in sales last year and will give more than $1 billion of it — or 28.5 percent — to programs for senior citizens.

    July 31, 2014 1 Photo

  • phone.jpg Attorney general warns of phone scams

    Assorted scams in the commonwealth have prompted a warning from the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office. Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane said several scams have been reported to the Bureau of Consumer Protection in recent weeks.

    July 30, 2014 1 Photo

  • disability.jpg Disabilities group unveils new icon

    Disability Options Network is joining forces with the Accessible Icon Project. Officials of the community organization, located at 1929 E. Washington St., said its new icon will replace the current international symbol for accessibility.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • well.jpg Auditor: State doesn’t have enough inspectors to monitor wells

    The state’s 83 well inspectors face a daunting enough challenge keeping tabs on 120,000 active oil and gas wells that have been drilled over the last century.

     

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • vote.jpg Independent hopefuls may widen gubernatorial field

    Just when Pennsylvania voters were getting used to the idea of a gubernatorial election showdown between Republican incumbent Tom Corbett and Democratic challenger Tom Wolf, other hopefuls may soon be joining the fray.

    July 28, 2014 1 Photo

  • manna.jpg John K. Manna: Measuring the money

    Should we even bother to have an election in November? By some accounts, maybe the results of some contests are already in.

    July 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • shooting.jpg Man injured in city shooting

    A man was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital Thursday morning following a shooting on West Lincoln Avenue.

     

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • police.jpg Police: Man pulls gun on construction workers

    Construction workers in Neshannock Township flagged down police Thursday claiming a business owner had pulled a gun on them.

     

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • Shooting.jpg Shooting witness arrested for giving false name

    State police have arrested a second Detroit area man after questioning him about Sunday’s fatal shooting in Ellwood City. DeMarco Dorian Hoskins, 22, of Highland Park, Mich., was the third man in a private car that transported the deceased to look for a hospital. Hoskins allegedly gave police a false identity when they questioned him as witness.

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • bridgerepair.jpg PennDOT seeks outside help to make bridge repairs

    State officials are poised to sign a massive deal that will enlist outside help to rebuild and maintain up to 600 bridges, marking the Corbett administration’s latest foray into privatizing key government functions.

     

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Seasonal Content
Section Teases
Must Read
Continuous Super Bowl Coverage