New Castle News

Closer Look

January 14, 2014

Yerage: Not interested in council seat

NEW CASTLE — Former New Castle councilman Ed Yerage says thanks, but no thanks.

“I’m not interested in rejoining council,” Yerage said Monday, following efforts last week to bring him back to the city’s governing body.

Councilmen William Panella and Richard Beshero placed his name in nomination to fill the vacancy for a two-year term. That opening was created when Anthony Adamo — who had been elected to two-year and four-year terms in November — opted to accept the longer one.

At last week’s meeting, Adamo and Councilman Tim Fulkerson nominated other people.

As a result, council was deadlocked, unable to reach a consensus on anyone.

If council fails to appoint someone by Feb. 5, at least 10 registered voters can petition Lawrence County Common Pleas Court to fill the vacancy.

Adamo and Fulkerson also want to give city residents the opportunity to file a letter of interest to serve on council. They set a Thursday deadline for submitting applications and resumes.

Yerage’s four-year term expired in December. He did not seek re-election last year.

When told by The News of Yerage’s position, Panella said, “If Mr. Yerage is not interested, then we’ll have to look at all the resumes that come in.”

He expressed confidence that council will be able to appoint someone to fill the vacancy at its Jan. 23 meeting.

“I really think we’ll be able to come to a decision.”

Yerage said he “never objected about someone speaking on my behalf” and appointing him if council would have “a difficult time finding a qualified candidate. Then I would step forward and fill the position until the two years are up.”

However, he pointed out, “If I was totally for this position, I would have run for it.

“The city has bigger problems that need solutions,” he continued. “And this council cannot start off with this being a problem.”

Asked whether he would have accepted the appointment if the majority had voted for him last week, Yerage said he would have accepted only if there had been a unanimous vote.

“If all four people would have been unanimously comfortable with me taking that seat, I would have taken that seat.”

He added he appreciates “the support that Councilmen Beshero and Panella had in me.”

An attempt to reach Beshero Monday was unsuccessful.

(Email: jmanna@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Closer Look
  • disability.jpg Disabilities group unveils new icon

    Disability Options Network is joining forces with the Accessible Icon Project. Officials of the community organization, located at 1929 E. Washington St., said its new icon will replace the current international symbol for accessibility.

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • well.jpg Auditor: State doesn’t have enough inspectors to monitor wells

    The state’s 83 well inspectors face a daunting enough challenge keeping tabs on 120,000 active oil and gas wells that have been drilled over the last century.

     

    July 29, 2014 1 Photo

  • vote.jpg Independent hopefuls may widen gubernatorial field

    Just when Pennsylvania voters were getting used to the idea of a gubernatorial election showdown between Republican incumbent Tom Corbett and Democratic challenger Tom Wolf, other hopefuls may soon be joining the fray.

    July 28, 2014 1 Photo

  • manna.jpg John K. Manna: Measuring the money

    Should we even bother to have an election in November? By some accounts, maybe the results of some contests are already in.

    July 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • shooting.jpg Man injured in city shooting

    A man was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital Thursday morning following a shooting on West Lincoln Avenue.

     

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • police.jpg Police: Man pulls gun on construction workers

    Construction workers in Neshannock Township flagged down police Thursday claiming a business owner had pulled a gun on them.

     

    July 25, 2014 1 Photo

  • Shooting.jpg Shooting witness arrested for giving false name

    State police have arrested a second Detroit area man after questioning him about Sunday’s fatal shooting in Ellwood City. DeMarco Dorian Hoskins, 22, of Highland Park, Mich., was the third man in a private car that transported the deceased to look for a hospital. Hoskins allegedly gave police a false identity when they questioned him as witness.

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • bridgerepair.jpg PennDOT seeks outside help to make bridge repairs

    State officials are poised to sign a massive deal that will enlist outside help to rebuild and maintain up to 600 bridges, marking the Corbett administration’s latest foray into privatizing key government functions.

     

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • GALLO_Natalie.jpg County native plays Clinton intern

    Natalie Gallo isn’t an intern, but she’s playing one on the New York stage.

     

    July 24, 2014 1 Photo

  • Shooting.jpg Coroner: Shooting victim hit by two bullets

    An autopsy revealed a Detroit area man killed in an Ellwood City shootout had suffered two gunshot wounds. Only one was a fatal hit.

    July 23, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Seasonal Content
Section Teases
Must Read
Continuous Super Bowl Coverage