New Castle News

Closer Look

May 7, 2014

County takes steps in gubernatorial election

NEW CASTLE — The disqualification of a Republican gubernatorial candidate will result in some adjustments for the May 20 primary in Lawrence County.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court removed Bob Guzzardi from the primary ballot last week, leaving Gov. Tom Corbett as the only Republican candidate for governor.

The court ruled that Guzzardi had failed to file his statement of financial interests with the Pennsylvania Ethics Commission.

As a result of the court’s decision, the Lawrence County Board of Elections has taken some steps to comply with the ruling.

Ed Allison, county elections director, said Guzzardi’s name will be removed from all paper ballots, which include absentee, emergency, provisional and sample ballots.

Even though Guzzardi has been removed as a candidate, his name will remain on the county’s voting machine ballots.

Allison said a notification will be placed in each voting booth stating that Guzzardi is not a viable candidate. The notification also will instruct voters that if they wish to vote for Guzzardi they will have to do it as a write-in.

Any votes cast next to Guzzardi’s name on the electronic voting machines will not be valid, Allison said.

Because of the late date of the court’s ruling, Allison explained, there is not enough time to reprogram the voting machines and “do everything necessary to guarantee the integrity of the election using the methods of testing we do on a regular basis.”

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Closer Look
House Ads
Seasonal Content
Section Teases
Must Read
Continuous Super Bowl Coverage