New Castle News

October 23, 2013

Recycling bids to be reviewed by county

Nancy Lowry
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Changes are on the Big Blue Bin recycling program horizon.

The Lawrence County commissioners yesterday opened tabled bids for the Lawrence/Mercer County Recycling/Solid Waste department. They authorized director Jerry Zona to review bids and make a recommendation.

Lawrence County commissioner chairman Dan Vogler explained that the bids had been solicited to collect, transport and process recyclable materials and to upgrade the blue bins, possibly replacing some of the older units. The current contract expires Dec. 31.

The programcovers both Lawrence and Mercer counties, he said.

Waste Management in Moon Township, and Tri-County Industries of Grove City, the current contractors, submitted bids for a three-year period.

However, Waste Management’s bid was for Lawrence County only. The Tri-County bid would cover both counties.

Zona said Tri-County’s bid was $599,400 if county-owned trucks are used and $688,824 if the company uses its own trucks, and includes up to 115 containers.

Waste Management offered no bid for using county trucks. Its cost is $250,029 for Lawrence County only, using its own trucks and including only 65 containers.

Zona said there currently are 65 bins at 15 sites in Lawrence County and 28 at five sites in Mercer County . The companies were asked to bid on up to 115 containers.

He said he will compare all aspects of the bids.

The county currently is paying about $95,000 per year in Lawrence County and about $47,000 in Mercer County, Zona said.

(Email: nlowry@ncnewsonline.com)