New Castle News

New Castle

May 18, 2013

New Castle Schools: Finding pinpoints nonpaying out-of-district pupils

NEW CASTLE — New Castle school board members are waiting for the final determinations of a state audit that contained three preliminary findings.

Earlier this month the board publicly discussed those findings from the 2009-10 and 2010-11 school years, and the district administration has responded to two of them to the Pennsylvania Department of the Auditor General.

The third, which remains unanswered, addresses a total of $103,808 that the district should have collected in tuition from students the state identified as non-district residents during those years.

President David DiGiammarino said the board is considering policy that will require students registering to present specific documents such as income tax statements to verify where they live.

He said the state has not provided the names of the students who did not pay.

WHO ARE THEY?

Board member Barbara Razzano said she had given names of suspected students to the administration. She said she does not know if they are the same ones that prompted the audit finding.

Representatives of the auditor general briefed the board and administration about the findings at a private exit conference in October.

Business manager Joe Ambrosini explained the $103,808 is money the district received in its state basic education subsidy for the students.

“Because they weren’t district students, we have to give it back now,” he said, adding the state will withhold that money from a future subsidy.

It will be up to the district to try to collect it from the parents, he noted.

“We turn in daily subsidy reports” to the state, Ambrosini explained to the board. “It was calculated that we got X amount of subsidy for these kids attending our district. They’re saying we never should have received this money.”

For the 2009-10 school year, out-of-district tuition was $7,262 per student for elementary and $7,830 for secondary. The 2010-11 rates were $7,595 and $8,468, respectively.

DiGiammarino said the board needs to tighten policy and require more documents to prove residency, because students falsely using a grandparents or supposed guardian’s address to attend without paying are violating state law.

“We’ve lost this money twice,” board member Dr. Marilyn Berkely commented. She noted that first, the district was not paid tuition, and now the state is taking it away.

“There’s really no loss of money to the district,” retired superintendent George Gabriel countered in a phone conversation. “If these kids didn’t attend, we wouldn’t be getting that (subsidy) money in the first place. If they prove these (students) were out of city, we should not have received the money.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Castle
House Ads
Poll

The film "Into the Storm," about a devastating tornado, opens nationally Aug. 1. What's your favorite storm movie?

Twister
The Day After Tomorrow
The Perfect Storm
Sharknado
     View Results