New Castle News

New Castle

March 14, 2012

Official says New Castle, coach parted amicably

NEW CASTLE — Former New Castle football coach Frank Bongivengo and the school district parted as friends, according to superintendent George Gabriel.

“We parted company on mutual consent,” Gabriel said.

However, he noted the separation agreement and release, signed by the coach, school board president Allan Joseph and him limited what he can say about it.

The agreement was reached by the board, administration, district solicitor, the coach and his lawyer and spells out the terms, he said.

District solicitor Charles Sapienza said the document, signed previously by Bongivengo and on Monday night by school officials, is a public document, a contract.

Sapienza explained there was no resignation letter from Bongivengo, just the agreement. He said the district could not release that agreement until it was signed by district officials.

“We are paying (Bongivengo) for his services. It had to be signed. After it was signed it could be released.”

He added the agreement always was recognized as a public document.

Bongivengo resigned Monday night, effective immediately, as head football coach for the district. He will remain on staff as a social studies teacher.

Bongivengo and his wife, Karen, both of 114 E. Euclid Ave., were charged with theft, conspiracy and forgery charges stemming form alleged misappropriations of $3,618 from a youth football program.

Charges were filed following a 17-month investigation by Pennsylvania state police that looked at transactions between the youth football program account and the couple’s personal bank account.

The separation agreement states Bongivengo had been hired to serve as head football coach through the 2013 season and to serve on a year-to-year basis as weight-lifting supervisor.

As part of the pact, both parties agreed to not comment on the coach’s employment in response to public or future employment inquiries or employment references. Both sides agreed only to say that “Bongivengo served as head coach from 2005 -11, had an overall record of 39-32, five winning seasons, three playoff appearances and that he voluntarily resigned as head coach in March 2012 for personal reasons unrelated to his performance as head football coach.”

The agreement notes that while under Bongivengo’s leadership, the district’s football program was not subjected to discipline, sanctions or other adverse action and that Bongivengo “voluntarily submitted his resignation for personal reasons wholly unrelated to his performance as head football coach and weight-lifting supervisor.”

Under terms of the release, the district agrees to pay Bongivengo $3,293.25. This money was earned by Bongivengo following the football season in his capacity as weight-lifting supervisor.

In exchange, Bongivengo releases the school district from all actions, claims, suits, debts, liabilities and demands arising in the contract or in claims he may have arising from or relating to his employment as head football coach and weight-lifting supervisor. The district releases Bongivengo from any action, claim or suit, debt liability or demand the school district may have on him.

(Email: nlowry@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
New Castle
House Ads
Poll

The Steelers opened training camp this weekend. How do you see them faring this season?

Super Bowl
Division champs
Wild card team
Missing playoffs for a third straight year
     View Results