New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
Mohawk area students are an active bunch.
To accommodate their extracurricular activities, the district has agreed to reinstate the activity bus to take students home following after-school activities.
Beginning Monday, four after-school buses will run through the end of the school year at a cost to the district of $25,000. That will cover salaries and benefits for four drivers, fuel, and wear on the buses.
The district covers 101 square miles. The activity bus route would take students to or near their homes at the end of the school day.
Board members said the activity bus had been discontinued five or six years ago because students were not using it.
However, elementary students are expected to use this incarnation of bus runs.
Previously, elementary students involved in extracurricular activities including band, chorus or school-authorized clubs and activities rode the high school bus and arrived at school prior to the start of their school day. Now those activities will be shifted to the end of the school day.
“So many students are now participating in activities, the high school buses are becoming too crowded,” business manager/board secretary Janet Crum said.
She said the activity routes are being reintroduced on a trial basis and will be evaluated at the end of the school year.
The board approved the activity bus runs by an 8-1 vote with board member Diane Gwin opposing.
Voting for the activity bus were Eugene Butch Jr., Harry Curatola, Lori Griffin, Mark Hiler, Jonathan Laughner, Scott Singer, David Spears and board president Ted Morrow.