New Castle News

June 16, 2012

Suspect tells police he and wife drank, argued

Debbie Wachter
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Police learned Shawn and Alisha Moore not only had been arguing for hours but drinking before he allegedly killed her.

New Castle officers responded to a bloody scene at the couple’s 613 E. Reynolds St. home Wednesday night, where they found 36-year-old Alisha Moore lying on the bathroom floor.

She had been stabbed multiple times.

Police found a silver knife — believed to be the murder weapon — on the floor near her head, saturated with blood. They said Moore was lying face down in a pool of blood near the kitchen.

Police arrested 38-year-old Shawn Moore, who told them he and his wife had been drinking all day and she was mad because she had caught him cheating on her, according to court documents.

He told officers she “came at him with a knife” but he took it from her and stuck it in her, according to paperwork filed by police.

Neighbors told police the fight between the couple started around 3 p.m. and the two had fought regularly. One neighbor said she had heard Alisha Moore screaming for help and called 911. Other neighbors said they also heard her screaming.

It was reported to police that Shawn Moore had gone outside and told one of them, “You know the problems we’ve been having.”

Moore suffered a large laceration on his right palm, police said, and had blood on his legs, hands and feet.

He told police, “I killed her tonight,” and “She didn’t deserve to die.”

Police who secured the scene said Alisha Moore appeared to have just gotten out of the shower and was wearing only a towel.

She had apparent stab wounds to the arms, neck and back, police said, as well as the face, chest and hands.

Police said Moore, who had waived his Miranda rights, told them the two had been drinking vodka. Their argument started around 6 p.m., he said, but he doesn’t remember what happened or where the stabbing took place, only that she went at him with a knife, he grabbed it from her and his hand got cut.

He said he then “lost it” and did what he did.

Moore said he did not remember what happened during the assault and the next thing he remembers is sitting outside on the front steps.

He described stabbing her with a side arm motion, according to police, and another time said it was a downward motion.

Police said Moore also told them about various other domestic incidents between him and his wife.

Forensic pathologist Dr. James Smith told police at the autopsy, performed at Heritage Valley Hospital in Beaver County, that the cause of death was a stab wound through the heart. He said some of the 23 wounds were exit wounds.

According to police, Shawn Moore underwent surgery on his hand at Jameson Hospital and now is in the Lawrence County jail without bond. He is charged with criminal homicide, two counts of aggravated assault, terroristic threats, recklessly endangering another person and simple assault.

He was arraigned Thursday night by District Judge Jennifer L. Nicholson. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Thursday.