New Castle News

September 25, 2012

Union man arrested for accident, fleeing police

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — A Union Township man was arrested for fleeing from police after his truck backed into a car in Mahoningtown.

Raymond Jay Price, 44, of 188 Scotland Lane was driving a black pickup truck that backed into a car behind him around 6:55 p.m. Friday at a traffic light on West Madison Avenue, according to New Castle police.

Price then left the scene without giving the owner of the car his license and insurance information, police said.

Police, alerted to the incident, said they tried to pull over Price’s truck after seeing it pull out of a parking lot at high speed, causing another car to stop suddenly to avoid it.

He in turn led them on a chase at more than 70 mph along North Liberty Street.

Price eventually pulled into a parking lot in the 1200 block and  got out of the car and tried to walk away.

The officer pursuing him drew his gun and ordered Price to stop and put his hands on his truck. Police said Price kept looking at the officer saying, “why?”

Price complied after the officer pointed a Taser at him.

Police arrested Price and said he was verbally abusive and smelled of alcohol. While enroute to Jameson Hospital for a blood test, he continued to be verbally abusive, police said.

The officer said he heard a loud noise in the back of the cruiser and looked to see Price bleeding from a head wound and accused the officer of hitting him with a club. He said Price spit blood all over the back of the cruiser.

Police said Price also was verbally abusive toward the hospital nurses who were trying to treat his wounds.

He was charged with fleeing and eluding police, driving under the influence, accident involving damage to attended vehicle, reckless driving, improperly backing up, failing to stop and render aid, failing to keep right and failing to yield right of way.

He was arraigned by District Judge David B. Rishel and lodged in the Lawrence County jail in lieu of $10,000 bond.