New Castle News

October 30, 2013

Veterans asked to record discharge papers

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Local veterans should dig out their military discharge papers and take them to the courthouse.

Once at the courthouse, a county official said, they can record these documents for free to expedite future applications for veterans’ benefits.

The discharge documents include DD214 discharge certificates or any other certificate of discharge or release from duty issued by the United States or any state government, according to Janet Kalajainen, Lawrence County’s register and recorder of deeds. These include any branch of the United States military, reserve unit or National Guard forces.

The discharges will then be kept on file so the recorder of deeds can provide veterans, their dependents or other authorized persons with certified copies of these documents for free at any future time, she said. The copies would be provided only to the veteran named on the papers, a surviving spouse or other family member or agent when he or she presents proper identification or by court order or authorized official’s request.

These documents are needed to apply for veterans’ benefits, officials said, adding the discharge documents will be kept confidential and are not a public record.

The original papers should then be taken home and kept in a safety deposit box, vault or fireproof strongbox, officials said.

The county commissioners passed a proclamation Tuesday designating November as “Record Your Veterans Discharge Month” in conjunction with a statewide observance.