New Castle News

March 4, 2014

City attacking potholes

By Staff
New Castle News

NEW CASTLE — Contrary to what drivers may think, this has not been an unusual year for potholes in New Castle.

That’s the assessment of city public works director Michael Rooney.

When asked whether the city is seeing more potholes this year, Rooney said, “I really don’t think it is.”

So far this season, public works crews have used 65 to 70 tons of cold patch, Rooney said.

“That’s pretty much in the ballpark” of the amount used in previous years, he noted.

Public works personnel were clearing city-owned sidewalks Monday, Rooney said, and will be back at filling potholes Tuesday. Usually, he has three or four crews filling potholes.

He said crews have been addressing the potholes that are on the public complaint list first “so we don’t get repeat calls.”

In addition to the complaint list, he said, the public works crews record the locations of potholes when they are plowing snow.

Rooney said the city has about 25 tons of cold patch remaining.

“Hopefully, it will get me through” until the asphalt plants begin producing hot mix material around the middle of April, he said.

Anyone who sees a pothole problem in the city can call (724) 656-3568 to be placed on the complaint list.