NEW CASTLE —
Editor, The News:
I have been researching my maternal grandmother’s family and discovered her mother — Sarah (Davies) (Wright) Leigh — emigrated from England in the late 19th century to live in New Castle with one of her daughters — a sister of my grandmother.
I found Sarah married (for the third time) on June 1, 1893, widower Edward Miller of Neshannock Falls.
Intrigued by this new (to me) information, I decided to try to find more and perhaps even some American relatives.
I made some progress, thanks to the wonderful help of the genealogy librarian at the New Castle Public Library, but have now come to a stop.
I send this letter in the hope one of your readers might be able to fill in a few gaps or suggest how/where I might move things along.
What I already know:
1. Edward Miller and first wife, Nancy Connor, had three sons (David, William and Amos) and a daughter, Mrs. Maloney.
2. Amos Edward Miller married Annie Downing and they had four sons (Edward J., Albert G., Fred D. and WIlliam L. Miller); five daughters (Mary Cox, Helen Usselton, Margaret White, Edith Hutchison and Martha Roney); and an adopted daughter (Ivy Crane).
3. Helen Usselton owned a dress shop in downtown New Castle.
4. Her daughter Margaret “Peggy” married Oliver F. Duvall on Oct. 16, 1944, and after his death, Charles K. Byler.
5. I believe the married name of Peggy and Oliver’s daughter, Cheri Ann Duvall, is Empfield. But a letter I sent to a New Castle address has not been answered or returned, so I do not know if I found the right Mrs. Empfield.
I look forward to hearing from your readers at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 14, Castleton, Haselbury Plucknett, Somerset TA18 7PD, England.
M.S. “Mike” Wroe
NEW CASTLE —
Editor, The News:
- Letters to the Editor
Letter to the Editor E-form
Send Letter to the Editor E-form
Truth can be found only in word of God
Editor, The News: You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free — John 8:32.
Obama’s border moves contradict security
Editor, The News: Over the decades, how many billions have been spent by the states to successfully eradicate lethal or debilitating contagious disease?
Poll regarding Obama defies the evidence
Editor, The News: I have read and seen on television that the results of a recent poll found the majority believed President Obama to be the “worst president” since World War II.
Benefits are perceived as positive outcomes
Editor, The News: In a July 14 letter, Russ Hall asked, “Why has the Obama administration stopped calling it Social Security? A Social Security check now says ‘Federal Benefit Program.’”
Bands were missed at local festival
Editor, The News: Recently, I have heard New Castle’s two great concert bands: The Red Coat and Blue Coat.
Bureaucracy blocks housing complaint
Editor, The News: I am not usually a complainer, but I have a neighbor who does absolutely nothing regarding house maintenance.
Consider the math of Social Security
Editor, The News: This is in response to the letter to the editor of July 14.
Where is evidence of war on women?
Editor, The News: War on women? What world do they live in?
Social Security fails to meet promises
Editor, The News: Most of us began working with the knowledge that, eventually, we would be eligible to retire and start collecting our retirement safety net, called Social Security.
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines
- Letter to the Editor E-form