NEW CASTLE —
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Mocha frosting
- Walnut or pecan halves
Grease and lightly flour two 8x1 1/2-inch round baking pans.
Combine the nuts, flour and baking powder.
In a blender, blend eggs, sugar and vanilla with blender covered until smooth. Add nut mixture. Cover; blend until smooth. Transfer to pans. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks. Remove from pans; cool. Spread mocha frosting between layers, and on top and sides of cake. Top with nut halves. Chill several hours.
In a small mixer bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon crushed instant coffee crystals in 1 cup whipping cream. Beat on low speed until slightly thickened. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Sift together 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and add to whipped cream mixture. Beat until thick. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- 1/4 pound margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 fresh green onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 to 3 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, deboned, skinned and cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1, 10-ounce can chicken broth
- 1, 6 1/2-ounce can minced clams and juice
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound linguine
Cook linguine according to package directions; drain. Sauté onions, mushrooms and celery in margarine and oil until limp. Add garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, if used, salt and pepper, and sauté 3 minutes. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon and set aside. Sauté chicken 10 minutes turning often. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add flour to pan and gradually add chicken broth. Stir until smooth. Add clams, chicken, vegetables, lemon juice and wine. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Serve over linguine. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.