NEW CASTLE —
Bow Ties with
Tomatoes and Basil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 lb. Brie cheese, rind removed and torn into large pieces
- 1 cup cleaned fresh basil, cut into strips
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1/2 tsps. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. bow tie pasta
- Freshly grated imported Parmesan cheese
Combine tomatoes, Brie, basil, garlic, 1 cup of olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper in a large serving bowl. Prepare at least two hours before serving and set aside, covered, at room temperature.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and remaining salt. Add pasta and boil until tender but firm. Drain pasta and immediately toss with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Grandma Elsie McCready’s Buns
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsps. salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 10 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in water. Scald milk; add shortening, sugar and salt. Stir well until lukewarm. Combine yeast and milk mixtures. Add beaten eggs and several cups of flour and beat until smooth. Work in remaining flour. Knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and allow to rise until doubled. Punch down and make into buns. Cover and let rise again until doubled. Bake at 350 until brown.
Cream Puff Dessert
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 stick butter
- 4 eggs
- Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 2 small instant vanilla pudding
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip
Bring water and butter to a boil. Remove from burner and add flour. Beat in one egg at a time. Spread in a 9x13-inch pan, pressing it up the sides.
Place in a 400 oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool. Mix pudding, milk and cream cheese together. Beat for three minutes. Spread in pan. Top with Cool Whip and drizzle chocolate syrup on top.
Italian Potato Salad
- 5 lb. potatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 small jar mild pepper rings
- 1 can pitted medium black olives, sliced
- 3 to 4 fresh onions, chopped
- 1 minced garlic
Add olive oil and season to taste with parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.