NEW CASTLE —
It was difficult selecting just a few for this week’s Culinary Conversation. So I chose from each section except the sweet stuff and will save those for another time.
Many sound exceptional. I know for sure I’m giving the Ultimate Chicken Salad a try. We make the asparagus dish and turkey burgers frequently so I already know those are winners.
Thanks, Pam for thinking of this column and allowing me to use some recipes from the cookbook.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired consistency is reached. Serve with pita bread, pita chips or veggie crudités.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 lbs. ground meat
- 1, 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1, 28-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tsps. salt, or to taste
Brown meat, drain grease. Mix everything together. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Ultimate Chicken Salad
- 3/4 cup Marzetti blue cheese dressing
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tbsps. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 8 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 4 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots or red onions
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat 2 tbsps. oil in skillet over medium-high heat and sear both sides of chicken. Continue to cook on medium heat until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. In Same skillet, heat remaining oil and sauté apples, celery and shallots until tender. Gently heat Marzetti dressing in saucepan. Do not bring to boil. Arrange spinach on plates, top with hot veggies, apples and chicken. Spoon warm dressing over all and sprinkle with pine nuts.
Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 1 bunch (12 to 14) asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup Asiago or Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425. Trim off and discard tough ends from asparagus spears. Arrange asparagus in a shallow baking dish. Drizzle oil over asparagus; turn stalks to coat. Sprinkle salt and pepper over asparagus. Bake until asparagus is tender, about 12 to 18 minutes depending on thickness. Chop or leave spears whole. Sprinkle with cheese.
The Perfect Turkey Burger
Combine 1 1/4 lbs. ground turkey, 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese, 2 finely chopped scallions, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tsps. Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper in a bowl just until blended. Shape into four patties. Spray rack with nonstick spray and grill burgers until thermometer inserted in the center of each burger registers 165 degrees, 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
Substitute 1/2 cup shredded zucchini for the ricotta.