New Castle News

DailyRecord

May 21, 2013

Cleaners cause fire in vacant Halco unit

NEW CASTLE — Lawrence County Housing Authority employees cleaning a vacant unit sparked a blaze Monday, according to city firefighters.

The fire just before noon in the Halco Drive apartment caused $10,000 damage to the kitchen, they said.

New Castle firefighters were called to 321 Halco and said two authority workers had been using kerosene to strip glue from tile on the kitchen floor. The kerosene ignited, burning the baseboard around the perimeter of the room and several cabinets.

The rag being used to spread the kerosene was found burning in the sink and doused by a fireman who turned on the water in the sink.

Firefighters said the blaze had just about burned itself out by the time they arrived. They remained until about 12:10 p.m.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
DailyRecord
House Ads
Poll

Are you concerned enough about the Heartbleed bug on the Internet to change all of your social media and website passwords?

Yes. It’s always a good idea to change passwords regularly anyway. I just have so many, I’m not sure where to start.
No. From what I’ve read, companies are still trying to figure out how to fix the flaw. The bad guys will just have access to my NEW passwords, too.
Not sure, but I blame Al Gore. He invented the Internet, right? How’s he going to get us out of this mess?
     View Results