New Castle News

DailyRecord

June 20, 2013

Jail gets third bomb threat

NEW CASTLE — The Lawrence County jail received a bomb threat about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday — the third since Saturday.

Prison board chairman David Gettings noted the caller said the same thing as the previous two times, that he was going to “come and blow the place up.”

Again, bomb-sniffing dogs were summoned and the jail was locked down — no one from outside was allowed in except law enforcement.

“I don’t know if they’re copycats or what, but it’s getting annoying,” Gettings said. The dogs and police swept the perimeter of the building looking for evidence, he said.

“There were no visitors or public inside the facility today at all.”

The county sheriff’s department blocked off streets and the New Castle police were called.

Gettings said he does not know how long the jail will be on lockdown.

“It may be for another couple of days, to just stop this kind of crap.”

The county prison board met Wednesday, and Gettings updated members, saying similar threats had been called in Saturday and Tuesday. Police are investigating the calls and numbers.

Making a bomb threat is a federal offense, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine or both.

(Email: dwachter@ncnewsonline.com)

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
DailyRecord
House Ads
Poll

Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 fell from the sky in Donetsk, Ukraine, on Thursday, killing all 298 people aboard. Many are speculating that Russian rebels (supported by Vladimir Putin) are responsible for downing the aircraft. What do you think?

Yes. All evidence points that way.
No. Everyone is so quick to point fingers, but there's not enough evidence to support claims of Russian guilt.
I'm not sure. I'll just wait until the investigation is over to make up my mind.
What is up with these Malaysian Airlines planes? I know one airline I won't be flying any time soon...
     View Results