New Castle News


May 14, 2013

Fire destroys mobile home

NEW CASTLE — A mobile home in Slippery Rock Township was destroyed in a fire Monday morning.

No injuries were reported in the blaze that broke out around 6:30 a.m. at 1520 Young Road.

Ruth McEvoy, who was home at the time, called 911, Slippery Rock Township Fire Chief George Johnson said.

Her son also lives at the mobile home, but he was at work, Johnson said.

According to the chief, the source of the fire was an electrical power strip in the living room, which suffered fire damage. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze, but the rest of the structure had smoke and water damage, he said.

Johnson said the Red Cross is assisting the McEvoys in providing them temporary shelter.

Hickory Township, Scott Township and Portersville volunteer fire departments and Portersville Ambulance assisted the Slippery Rock department. Firefighters cleared the scene around 9 a.m.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
House Ads

"State Fair" opens at the New Castle Playhouse tonight. Will you be checking out the show?

Definitely! I've already got my tickets.
Maybe. I'm not sure.
Nah, it's not for me.
     View Results