New Castle News

DailyRecord

July 6, 2013

Croton Blaze: Residents escape city fire

NEW CASTLE — Two residents escaped uninjured after a fire broke out at their Croton area home Friday.

When New Castle firefighters arrived at 904 Woodland Ave., the front porch of the house was engulfed and flames had spread to the eaves, according to David Joseph, assistant fire chief. The department received the call at 12:40 p.m.

The fire was basically confined to the front of the house, although the first and second floors suffered heavy smoke and water damage and the front room next to the porch had heat damage, according to the fire department.

Mary Ann Wolfe said she had been asleep in the front room and was awakened when she “felt the intense heat,” fire officials reported.

Tonya Crowe, who was asleep upstairs, was awakened by a smoke alarm, according to the fire department.

The women were able to get their two dogs and a cat safely out of the house and called 911.

“Everything I own is in that house,” Wolfe said.

The city police department’s fire investigator believes the blaze was started by someone lighting a foam cushion on the porch furniture, according to Joseph.

He said it does not appear that the fire is linked to three other fires that occurred Thursday night on the city’s Lower East Side.

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the two residents.

The house is owned by Mary Kelly of Massachusetts, according to the fire department.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
DailyRecord
House Ads
Poll

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed “unprecedented” legislation yesterday to expand gun rights in his state. Good idea?

Yes. Expanding the scope of where people can carry guns can help halt violent crimes and make those places safer.
No. Carrying guns into bars and schools is NEVER a good idea. I think it will lead to more violence.
Not sure, but I don’t plan to visit Georgia any time soon.
     View Results