New Castle News
A massive manhunt is under way for the man known as "Suspect 2" in the Boston Marathon bombing.
Authorities say his companion is dead.
Images of the two men immediately went viral Thursday afternoon after the FBI released their photos and called for the public's help in finding them.
The images show the men, "Suspect 1" in a black baseball hat, "Suspect 2" wearing a white one, walking along the sidewalk among the marathon spectators shortly before the first explosion.
The Associated Press says the surviving suspect has been identified as 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. Sources tell the AP that the suspects are from Russia, and have lived in the U.S. for a year.
Chaos broke out a few hours after the photos began circulating in the public, resulting in the death of a MIT police officer and eventually Suspect 1.
Police say it all began late Thursday night when a 7-Eleven in Cambridge was robbed.
Not long after, the MIT officer was found seriously injured in his car near the university. He had been shot multiple times, and later died at Massachusetts General Hospital. The Middlesex district attorney said the investigation determined that two males were involved in this shooting.
The MIT officer was shot while responding to a disturbance on campus, according to both the DA and Cambridge police.
Authorities then learned about an armed carjacking less than a mile from where the officer had been found. The victim had been carjacked at gunpoint by two men, and dropped off at a Cambridge gas station 30 minutes later. The carjacking victim was unharmed.
After police were notified, a search for the vehicle began, resulting in a car chase into the Boston suburb of Watertown. The Middlesex district attorney says the suspects threw explosives from the car at pursuing officers; this eventually escalated into a shootout between officers and suspects. During the exchange of gunfire, one of the suspects and a police officer Boston's public transportation system (MBTA) were seriously wounded.
Both were transported to local hospitals, where the wounded suspect, believed to be Suspect 1, was pronounced dead. He has not been identified.
Suspect 2 managed to escape. He is considered armed and extremely dangerous.
“We believe this to be a terrorist,” Boston Police commissioner Ed Davis said. ”We believe this is a man who’s come here to kill people.”
Authorities have suspended all public transportation in Boston and are urging residents in Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Belmont, Cambridge, and the Allston-Brighton section of Boston to stay indoors, keep their doors locked and not let anyone in.