New Castle News

March 6, 2014

2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles


CNHI News Service

— Health officials say packages of Original Skittles sold at a convenience store in Richmond, Ind., were contaminated, and two people who ate from a package were hospitalized with symptoms including burning throats, cramping and diarrhea.

According to a news release from the Indiana State Department of Health, the packages contained “unconfirmed chemical substances.” Indianapolis TV station WISH-TV reported a spokesperson said it was unknown if the candy had been tampered with, but laboratory tests, the results of which are due in a few days, should provide more information.

Officials from the Indiana State Police, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have also joined the investigation, according Cincinnati TV station WLWT.