New Castle News

Community News Network

March 6, 2014

2 in Indiana sickened after eating contaminated Skittles

Health officials say packages of Original Skittles sold at a convenience store in Richmond, Ind., were contaminated, and two people who ate from a package were hospitalized with symptoms including burning throats, cramping and diarrhea.

According to a news release from the Indiana State Department of Health, the packages contained “unconfirmed chemical substances.” Indianapolis TV station WISH-TV reported a spokesperson said it was unknown if the candy had been tampered with, but laboratory tests, the results of which are due in a few days, should provide more information.

Officials from the Indiana State Police, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration have also joined the investigation, according Cincinnati TV station WLWT.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Community News Network
House Ads
Poll

"State Fair" opens at the New Castle Playhouse tonight. Will you be checking out the show?

Definitely! I've already got my tickets.
Maybe. I'm not sure.
Nah, it's not for me.
     View Results