NEW CASTLE — Apple Cranberry Cake
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup egg beaters or egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups unpeeled, cored apples, diced one-half inch
- 2 table spoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, stir together flour, oat bran, baking soda, and cinnamon until well blended. In a second bowl, whisk together yogurt, maple syrup, lemon zest, and vanilla. Stir in cranberries, and bread crumbs. In a third bowl, whisk egg whites, and sugar.
Add flour mixture to yogurt mixture, stirring just to blend. Do not overwork. Gently fold in egg whites, then apples, taking care not to overwork batter. Transfer to a 10-inch round cake pan, either nonstick or lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake until firm to the touch and lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan before un-molding.