NEW CASTLE —
- 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, sliced into 1⁄3 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 hot frying peppers or hot peppers
- 1 jar (8 oz.) roasted red peppers
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained (optional)
- 1 large loaf Italian bread
- 8 bottled pepperoncini
- Anchovy strips (optional)
Brush skillet with some of the oil and cook sausages over medium heat until brown, turning and pricking skins occasionally. Drain on paper towels, slice lengthwise and keep warm.
In another skillet over medium heat, warm remaining oil. Sauté onion, garlic, oregano and black pepper, stirring, occasionally, until onion is tender (about 8 minutes.) Add frying pepper, is using and sauté them until tender (about 10 minutes.) Add roasted bell peppers and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in capers, if using.
Cut bread across into 4 sandwich-sized slices. Cut each slice lengthwise into 2 long halves. Spoon vegetables onto 4 slice soft bread. Add pepperoncini, if using. Top with halved sausage, anchovy strips, if using and 4 remaining slices of bread. Serve immediately.
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 32⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Vegetable oil
Beat eggs and sugar
Beat eggs and sugar together and then add the milk slowly. Beat mixture together. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.
Pour batter into a funnel and at the same time, use your finger to plug the hole. In a large cast iron pot, add 2 inches of oil to the bottom.
When the oil becomes hot, move your hand over the pot and slowly release your finger so the batter can start cooking.
Move the funnel around to make designs.
Brown on both sides and then immediately remove and drain extremely well.
Top with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.
- 1 pound ground meat, cooked and drained
- 1 44-oz. spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound spaghetti, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella