NEW CASTLE —
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups fresh raspberries (if using frozen, just thaw and drain)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Place sliced strawberries and raspberries in a square 8x8-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, oats, spices, and salt. Add butter and toss the mixture together with your hands. Break the butter up into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of small pebbles and oat flakes. Toss in the walnuts , if using.
Put a generous handful (about 1 cup) of crumble topping into the strawberry and raspberry mixture. Toss loosely with your hands. Spread fruit evenly in the pan and top with the remaining crumble mixture. Bake until fruit is juicy and bubbling, and the top of the crumble is slightly browned and crisp, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.
(Note: recipes have not been tested!)