NEW CASTLE —
- 18 large Medjos dates, split lengthwise and pitted
- 2 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, cut into 18 pieces
- 6 slices smoked bacon, cut crosswise into thirds
Place oven rack in middle position of oven. Preheat oven to 450. Insert one piece of cheese into date. Wrap date with one piece of bacon; secure with wooden pick. Repeat process with remaining dates, cheese and bacon. Arrange dates one-inch apart on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 10 to 11 minutes until bacon is crisp, turning after 5 minutes. Drain dates well on paper towels. Serve immediately.
Ginger Ale Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks butter
- 5 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup ginger ale
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon flavoring
Preheat oven to 325. Generously grease Bundt pan with Crisco and dust with flour. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and Crisco until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix in sugar, alternating between the two; add flour and ginger ale, then add salt, vanilla and lemon flavoring. Continue beating for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 90 minutes. Do not open oven door while baking. Remove cake and set on wire rack to cool — about 20 minutes. Flip it upside down on place. Cake should drop out.
Creamy Spinach Dip
- 1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1 package Knorr vegetable mix
- 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Combine all ingredients. Chill for two hours. Makes four cups.
- Pineapple Cream Cheese
- Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1, 20-ounce can Dole pineapple slices, drained
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1, 9-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 2, 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1, 3-ounce package Jell-O lemon gelatin
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Stir together melted butter and brown sugar in pan. Place 8 pineapple slices in sugar mixture. Place cherry in center of each slice. Cut remaining two slices of pineapple in half and place around slice in center of pan.
Prepare cake mix as directed. Pour 1/2 of the cake batter evenly over pineapple. Beat cream cheese, lemon gelatin and eggs with electric mixer until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture gently over cake mix. Pour remaining cake mix over cheesecake in pan. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Loosen edges and turn onto plate.