NEW CASTLE —
Norwegian Nut Bread
Makes 2 small loaves, about 6 slices each
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, filberts and sunflower seeds (chopped)
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, unsifted
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg, beaten (or egg substitute)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Coat 2 empty 16-ounce cans with non-stick cooking spray
In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, nuts, dry milk, whole-wheat flour, raisins and orange zest.
In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, and walnut oil (optional); add to flour mixture and blend well.
Spoon batter into cans and bake 50 minutes or until golden.
Loosen bred from cans with small spatula and cool on rack.