NEW CASTLE —
- 8 packaged dried lasagna noodles
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or cream-style cottage cheese, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon or basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil, crushed
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded process Swiss cheese (6 ounces)
Paprika or snipped parsley (optional)
Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain again.
For filling, in a medium bowl, stir together egg, ricotta or cottage cheese, chicken and 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon or basil.
To assemble bundles, spread about 1/3 cup of the filling over each lasagna noodle. Roll up noodles, starting from a short end. Place bundles, seam-side down, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
For sauce, in a medium saucepan, melt the margarine or butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Gradually add cheese, stirring until melted after each addition. Pour sauce over lasagna bundles. Cover dish with foil.
Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Transfer bundles to individual plates. Stir sauce in baking dish. Spoon some of the sauce over each bundle and if desired, sprinkle with paprika or parsley. Garnish with fresh tarragon springs.
Fresh Herb Shrimp Linguine
- 1 pound fresh or frozen peeled, deveined medium shrimp
- 6 ounces packaged dried linguine or spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Rosemary sprigs (optional)
Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Rinse shrimp and set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Add the shrimp the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain well and place in a large pasta bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese, the garlic, olive oil, snipped rosemary, salt and black pepper and toss until well coated. Sprinkle evenly with the 2 tablespoons remaining cheese and garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
(*Note: recipes have not been tested.)