NEW CASTLE —
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut up
- 1 recipe pastry for single-crust pie
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 11⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 recipe hot fudge sauce or fresh fruit such as raspberries, sliced strawberries or sliced peaches, or vanilla ice cream
- Hot fudge sauce
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 5-ounce can evaporated milk
For filling, in a heavy saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350. Prepare and roll out pastry for single-crust pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry circle and trim. Crimp edge as desired.
For filling, in a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla; stir in the chocolate mixture and nuts.
Pour filling into pastry-lined pie plate. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with hot fudge sauce, fresh fruit or vanilla ice cream.
and Cheddar Pie
- 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups thinly sliced and peeled apples (such as Jonathan or Macintosh) (5 medium)
- 11⁄2 cups shredded white cheese (6 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375. Prepare pastry for double-crust pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it; set aside.
For filling, in a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apples; toss gently to coat. Add cheese and the 1⁄4 cup maple syrup; toss gently to combine. Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate. Drizzle with cream.
Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry circle on filling; trim pastry to 1⁄2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Brush with the 2 tablespoons maple syrup. If desired, sprinkle with pecans. Cool for one hour. Serve slightly warm.
Lemon Meringue Pie