NEW CASTLE —
- 15 1/2-oz. carton ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsps. instant minced onion
- 2 tbsps. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Two 16-oz. packages frozen, chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
Make up cornmeal pastry.
Beat together ricotta and two of the eggs until blended; add Parmesan, onion, flour, salt, pepper, mozzarella and spinach; stir well.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball of cornmeal pastry to form a 13-inch round; fit loosely into a 9-inch pie plate; trim. Add cheese-spinach mixture.
Roll out remaining cornmeal pastry to form a 10-inch round; place over filling. Fold top edge under; with fork tines, press to seal and prick top about a dozen times. If you like, decorate with shapes cut from leftover pastry scraps. Slightly beat remaining egg; brush over top. Bake on the rack below center in a preheated 425 oven for 15 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 and bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.