New Castle News

Jordan Brown Case

November 3, 2012

Jordan Brown Case: Victim’s family disappointed at evaluation report

NEW CASTLE — Jordan Brown visited Lawrence County on Friday.

As in the past, he said nothing.

In April, Jordan, 15, was found responsible for the 2009 deaths of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, and her unborn child.

Jordan was 11 at the time of the Feb. 20, 2009, fatal shooting. He has been in custody since then.

At a disposition hearing in May, Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge John W. Hodge ordered Jordan to a juvenile facility for treatment.

The law requires the case to be reviewed every six months by the judge who made the disposition, the juvenile court equivalent of a sentence. These reviews are required to determine if the youth is receiving adequate treatment.

Yesterday was the first review of the case.

Attending the hearing  at the Lawrence County courthouse were Kenzie Houk’s father, Jack Houk; her sister, Jennifer Kraner; and family friend, Janet Fulkerson. Kenzie’s mother, Debbie Houk, is ill and could not attend

The Houk family said they are disappointed at what they heard.

“The psychiatrist said he has not opened up,” Kraner said.

Jack Houk said the family was saddened to learn that no progress is being made.

An attempt to reach defense attorney Dennis Elisco was unsuccessful.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Jordan Brown Case
House Ads
Poll

What is your favorite Easter treat?

Jelly beans
Chocolate ... bunnies, crosses, anything that’s chocolate!
Marshmallow peeps
Decorated eggs
Other
     View Results