NEW CASTLE —
The case against Jordan Brown is almost over.
Anthony J. Krastek, senior deputy attorney general who is prosecuting, concluded his case prior to the noon break Wednesday.
The defense began and concluded its case Wednesday afternoon. Both sides are expected to make closing arguments Thursday morning.
Wednesday, Krastek said the case then is in the hands of Judge John Hodge. He may issue his ruling from the bench, Krastek noted, or take up to seven days to do so. Evidence and defense arguments in a juvenile court case are presented to a judge without a jury.
Jordan is charged with the Feb. 20, 2009, shooting of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, 26. He was 11 when Houk was killed in the North Beaver Township home she shared with Jordan, his father and her two daughters.
Now 14, Jordan originally was charged as an adult with two counts of homicide. The case eventually was transferred to juvenile court.
Hodge ordered the case closed to the public and the news media. Three area newspapers, including the New Castle News, challenged Hodge’s ruling and appealed his rejection of this challenge to the Pennsylvania Superior Court, where a three-judge panel upheld Hodge’s ruling.
The judge has allowed just three members of each family inside the courtroom.
The Houk family is represented by Kenzie’s parents, Jack and Debbie Houk, and her sister, Jennifer Kraner. The Brown family has been represented by Jordan’s father, Chris Brown, his grandmother, Janice Brown Myers, and two of Chris Brown’s aunts. Cynthia Wiseman was selected Tuesday. A different aunt was in the courtroom Wednesday.
Houk family members said Kenzie’s grandmother would have liked to have been included. But Wednesday, Debbie Houk said she had been told who could be present and it was not her choice her mother was excluded.
Both families have questioned the other’s compassion.
Jack Houk noted Brown family members sat through testimony emotionless, saying, “They must not have a heart.”
Both groups sported T-shirts proclaiming: “Support & Luv the memory of Kenzie and Baby Houk” and “We love and support Jordan Brown.”
“We haven’t been able to speak out previously,” Wiseman said, “but we have loved and supported Jordan all along.”
“It’s an important message,” said Jordan’s uncle, Jonathan Krause.
“He’s a little boy. He’s been (in a juvenile facility) for three years. I understand this is a tragedy, but I don’t believe that my nephew did this.”
He said he holds onto the hope Jordan “will come walking out of this courtroom today.”
Krause added he has visited Jordan at the Edmund L. Thomas Adolescent Center and the boy remains in high spirits. He has been in the Erie facility since March 2009.
Dodi Frankovich echoed Krause’s statements. “We’re here for Jordan because we know that he is innocent.
“We believe in him. We’d like to get through this so they can find the real killer and actually give some justice to baby Christopher and Kenzie.”
Houk’s family and friends believe they will see no justice.
“His aunt said his childhood was taken from him but he chose to give it up,” Debbie Houk said. “Consider what my little girls have lost.
“If he did it, he needs help. He has not gotten the help he needs.
“In five or six years, they will get their family back. I never will. The two little girls will never get their mother back or the baby brother they never saw.”
She added that with her, family or friends, Kenzie’s daughters visit their mother’s grave daily.
“I hope when this is over Jordan will get help.” Jack Houk said. “This is what this is about. For three years he’s been in a holding tank, languishing in a palace. Nothing’s been done to help him.”
He added that as difficult as the prosecution testimony was to hear, information presented by the defense was harder.
“It’s lies,” he said. “There’s no credibility. It’s hard to listen to.”
(Contact Nancy Lowry at (724) 654-6651, extension 623, or email: email@example.com)
NEW CASTLE —
The case against Jordan Brown is almost over.
- Jordan Brown Case
Prosecutors granted stay in Jordan Brown decision
A hearing on the status of a boy accused in a 2009 fatal shooting has been canceled. The hearing on 15-year-old Jordan Brown’s detention had been planned for Lawrence County Court today, but was canceled after prosecutors requested, and received, a stay in the proceedings.
Jordan Brown Case: Next step unclear, attorneys say
The Jordan Brown case has stretched into its fifth year. But it is not over yet. And the lawyers representing the 15-year-old don’t know exactly what will happen next.
Jordan Brown Case: Victim’s parents ‘devastated’ by ruling
Kenzie Houk’s parents are devastated — again. The first time was when she was fatally shot in February, 2009. The second time was Wednesday, when they learned of a ruling by the Pennsylvania Superior Court.
Appeals court overturns Jordan Brown ruling
A Pennsylvania appeals court has overturned the Jordan Brown decision in Lawrence County. As a result, a new juvenile proceeding will be needed for the now-15-year-old accused in the 2009 shooting death of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Houk.
Jordan Brown heading to George Junior
Jordan Brown is moving closer to home. At a hearing Thursday, Judge John W. Hodge approved transferring the 15-year-old from a facility in central Pennsylvania to one in western Pennsylvania. Jordan was in the courtroom, which was closed to the public.
Jordan Brown Case: Observers comment on teen’s first treatment review
Kenzie Houk’s family and friends fear Jordan Brown is not receiving the help he was promised. After Friday’s evaluation hearing, the father and sister of the woman Jordan had been found responsible for killing expressed concerns the teen may be a victim of abuse perpetrated by the system, his family and defense counsel.
Jordan Brown Case: Victim’s family disappointed at evaluation report
Jordan Brown visited Lawrence County on Friday. As in the past, he said nothing. In April, Jordan, 15, was found responsible for the 2009 deaths of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, and her unborn child.
Evaluation hearing scheduled for Jordan Brown
An evaluation hearing for Jordan Brown is scheduled for Nov. 2 at the Lawrence County Government Center. The 15-year-old was found responsible for the 2009 deaths of his father’s pregnant fiancée, Kenzie Marie Houk, and her unborn child.
Judge rules Jordan Brown must go to a juvenile facility in Kenzie Houk slaying
After 1,173 days in an Erie holding facility, Jordan Brown is headed to a juvenile facility for counseling and treatment. Lawrence County Judge John W. Hodge made that decision regarding the 14-year-old yesterday.
Jordan Brown's attorneys to appeal delinquency decision
An appeal is planned in the homicide case of Jordan Brown. Defense attorney Dennis Elisco confirmed Friday that an appeal will be made, claiming a lack of evidence.
- More Jordan Brown Case Headlines
- Prosecutors granted stay in Jordan Brown decision