NEW CASTLE —
Low Fat Cranberry Apple Stuffing Muffins
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tsp fresh chopped sage
- 2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 8 cups unseasoned bread cubes, dried/toasted (try adding some whole wheat bread cubes)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt (optional) and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten or equivalent egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté celery, onion and herbs for 5 minutes. Add apples and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place bread cubes and dried cranberries in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed vegetables. Season with a pinch of salt, if desired and some freshly ground black pepper. Add egg followed by broth. Stir everything well.
Spoon stuffing mixture into muffin tin.
Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden.
Makes 12-15 stuffing muffins.