NEW CASTLE —
Healthy Super Bowl Chili
This meatless chili can be served with a scoop of low-fat sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt. Also provide garnishes of minced scallions, shredded low-fat Cheddar or hot pepper sauce.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile, or cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, such as navy beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until very soft and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and chipotle (or cayenne) to taste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Stir in canned and fresh tomatoes, kidney, white and black beans, water and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has reduced slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.