NEW CASTLE —
Southwestern Pasta Salad
This recipe will add different textures and flavors to the more traditional pasta salad. The health benefits from the lime, cumin, garlic and cilantro will complement the vitimins and nutrients from the whole wheat pasta, vegetables and beans.
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package whole wheat rotini pasta
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large bowl combine oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic. Stir in pasta and set aside to cool to room temperature, stirring occassionaly.
Stir in corn, beans, green pepper, red pepper and half of the cilantro leaves. Spoon onto a platter and garnish with tomatoes and remaining cilantro. Serve chilled or at room temperature.