NEW CASTLE — Zucchini-Potato Soup
Launch a summer dinner with this delicate soup, a smooth puree of summer squash and potato. On a warm evening, you may want to chill it and serve it cold, like a vichyssoise.
Serves 4, with leftovers
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white part only
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced peeled russet-type baking potatoes
- 4 cups diced zucchini
- 4 cups diced yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or green onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 thin lemon slices (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine leeks, garlic, and 1/4 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer, covered, over moderate heat and simmer until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and remaining 5 cups broth. Bring to a boil, cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Add zucchini and summer squash, cover and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then puree soup I blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to pot; stir in chives and lemon juice to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat and serve, garnishing each serving with a thin slice of lemon, if desired.