NEW CASTLE —
Red Pepper Pasta
Serve this low fat pasta recipe with a crisp green side salad.
- 2 (two) 12 ounce jars, roasted red sweet pepper, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne or farfalle pasta
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Sauté garlic in olive oil (or vegetable broth if watching calories from fat) in non stick skillet over medium - high heat, stirring until light golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes).
Place 1⁄2 of drained peppers and 1⁄2 of garlic in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Add half each of water, basil, tomato paste and vinegar. Cover and blend or process with pulses until basil is just chopped and mixture is nearly smooth. Transfer pepper mixture to a 2 quart saucepan. Repeat with remaining garlic, peppers, water, basil, tomato paste and vinegar. Transfer all to saucepan.
Cook and stir sauce over medium heat until heated through. Serve sauce over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan cheese if desired.