NEW CASTLE — Hearty Vegetable Lasagna
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna (preferably, whole wheat)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, or egg substitute equivalent
- 1/2 cup low fat grated Parmesan
Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cold water, and drain. In a large saucepan, cook and stir mushrooms, green peppers, onion and garlic in oil. Stir in pasta sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Mix together ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and eggs.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer half each, lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, sauce and parmesan cheese. Top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.