NEW CASTLE —
Zucchini breakfast casserole
- 6 to 8 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or other hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups grated zucchini (from 2-3 fresh zucchinis)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes (from 4-5 fresh tomatoes),
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped fresh basil (from about 20 leaves)
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread (from about 4 slices)
- Non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add the low-fat ricotta and beat until smooth. Mix in the grated Parmesan cheese, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
Prepare the vegetables and bread. Once you chop the tomatoes, remove excess moisture out of them by wrapping in paper towels and squeezing. Add the tomatoes, basil, and zucchini to the egg mixture. Mix the bread cubes into the egg mixture.
Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the egg vegetable mixture into the baking pan and even it out in the pn. Place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F. The casserole should puff up and brown lightly. If it hasn't after 30 minutes at 350, increase the heat to 425° and cook for 5-10 minutes further. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
Makes 6 to 8 portions.