New Castle News

August 5, 2009

New Castle woman hurt in fire


What started out as routine kitchen cleaning late Wednesday morning resulted in serious injuries for a New Castle woman.

Jodi Stefano sustained second degree burns and was transported by helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital

Stefano reportedly had pulled out the gas stove at her parents’ home at 3534 Harlansburg Road and was cleaning it when a metal hose broke. The pilot light then ignited the gas from the hose.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze within minutes, said Jack Hitchen, chief of the Scott Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Two other people at the home owned by the Gill family escaped injury.

Reporter Lugene Hudson will have additional details and photographer Erica Galvin will have photos in Thursday’s edition of The New Castle News.