NEW CASTLE —
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring 11⁄2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a clean saucepan, combine 1⁄12 cups cooked rice, 11⁄2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1⁄2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins; cook two minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
Sugar Snap Peas With Red Peppers
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1, 14-ounce bag frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat a large sauté pan with sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, snap peas and red bell pepper. Sauté for five minutes. Add sesame seeds and honey; season with salt and pepper, and sauté for another minute. Transfer to bowl and serve hot.
Wheat Berry Salad
- 11⁄2 cups hard wheat berries
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot, combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for one hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool.
Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box