NEW CASTLE —
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder (low sodium)
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dates
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Combine flours, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar and egg with a wooden spoon. Add oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Gradually add flour mix to wet ingredients until incorporated. Stir in chopped apricots and dates.
Drop cookies by the tablespoon (or melon-ball scoop) on to the lined cookie sheets.
Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Note: Any kind of dried fruit would work well with these cookies.
Yields 18 cookies